Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 1: Getting At Your Novel's Core

*All information given during the 30 day challenge comes from the Writer's Digest manual "Write Your Novel in 30 Days."  Click here to purchase it!

1)  WRITE A ONE-SENTENCE SUMMARY
I want to get straight into writing, why am I being asked to write a one-sentence summary?  Answer:  FOCUS.  If you can't narrow down your story into one, albeit long, sentence you might have a tough time making sure your story stays on theme as you write.  When adding new scenes to your story always compare it to your one-sentence summary.  Does this scene fit with your plot's core story idea?  If not, drop it.

2)  MAP ACT I USING THE STORY TRACKER
If you haven't come up with an outline yet, Day 1 is the day to do that.  Remember, on this website I don't promote "seat of your pants"-ing it.  An outline is THE QUICKEST way to write a coherent story with conflict, resolution, and character arc.  (Mind I didn't say the only way, just the fastest).  Write down whatever Act I ideas come to mind, (characters, settings, props).  In these beginning stages don't criticize yourself, just allow your ideas to flow freely.  (Nothing squelches creativity like a critic!)

3)  COMPLETE THE STORY IDEA MAP
Think about what is going to turn this story on it's ear.  Your characters are moving along happily when suddenly, WHAM, something big hits them and they've got to figure out a whole new way to deal with life.  Call it Plot Point 1, Inciting Incident, Doorway of No Return, Crosshairs Moments.... whatever you want to call it, but just figure out what it is and write it down.  This is when the real story begins.  Everything leading up to this point is just backstory, so make sure you really dish it out for your characters.  Make 'em suffer (or make them happier than ever - just be sure to include a reason why their happily ever after can't last).

FOR MANY MORE WONDERFUL WORKSHEETS AND 30 DAY NOVEL HELPERS CLICK HERE

MY FIRST DAY:  I woke up at 6:00, determined to get in at least a good hour of writing before my kids woke up.  Unfortunately they seem to have some kind of "mommy radar" that informs them their mommy is up having fun without them.  At 6:20 Son2 started crying and he and I spent the next 30 minutes unproductively hanging out in the rocking chair.  

Aside from the bumpy morning it was a fairly productive day.  I've been working on a very detailed outline of the story and I'm 8 pages into it.  I'm hoping to be done by tomorrow or midday Wednesday so I can get started on the actual writing (MUCH more fun, in this lady's opinion).

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear your first day was so productive! I totally agree that the little ones have mommy radar. My daughter almost always wakes up the instant I open my eyes!

    ReplyDelete