Monday, May 12, 2014

My weight loss journey

It was horrible. I hadn't stepped on a scale in probably 6 months, but when I was at my sister's house visiting during the LDS Storymakers conference, she had one of those cool, super advanced scales. I couldn't help myself. I just wanted to see it work. Bad Idea-yes, but motivating- yes. I was the heaviest I'd ever been- 189 pounds. I felt ill. I couldn't believe it.

All my younger life I had been skinny. I didn't need to try, I just was. Even after my first four kids I was around 120. Then things changed. I started having panic attacks, and the doctor put me on medicine. Another friend of mine told me that the medicine would slow my metabolism and that I would gain weight. At the time I thought nothing of it, after all, not having panic attacks was worth it. Two years passed and I was fine. My husband and I talked about having more children, and soon baby #5 was on the way. Unfortunately, I ended up with gestational diabetes and bloomed up to 160 lbs. Worse, the weight didn't go away after the baby was born like it always had before. Then came baby #6 and at 180 lbs I peaked. Did I mention I'm 5'3.

It has now been over 5 years since my last baby, and the weight just won't go. For awhile I was doing Nutrisystem and exercising and got down to 164 lbs. Then the weight stayed the same. After two months I gave up, discouraged. I'm not an over eater. Sure, I love my fast food, but I'm not a huge snacker nor do I binge eat. 

After I saw the scale at my sister's house I knew it was time to step things up again. I actually enjoy exercising on my stationary bike or elliptical, so I've started up again. Plus, I decided to go back on Nurtisystem, not the whole plan, I actually don't like the food (thought the frozen stuff is SO much better now), but the a la carte menu. The are several things I enjoyed and you just can't get them anywhere else. What sucks is that they just won't let you order their food, you have to pay an a la carte fee. Ugh. However, I did notice that Walmart is now selling Nutrisystem in their Diabetes aisle. They have the muffins, shakes, and cookies that I like.

So here I go again. Wish me luck. I feel like no matter how hard I try that I more maintain my weight than lose it. Plus, I've heard you have to do at least an hour of cardio plus strength training everyday, so about 2 hours. What mom has that much time? It is not a realistic goal unless someone has nothing on their schedule everyday of the week. Hmm, not me. So, I'll keep to my 1 hour of cardio and dieting and cross my fingers.
-Dorine

No comments:

Post a Comment