Tuesday, November 3, 2015

It's Already November??

This is my favorite time of year. I love Halloween, dressing up, the Fall colors, and everything about October. But then the date turns to November 1st, and I realize how excited I am for Thanksgiving.

There's a trend on Facebook (and probably other social media) where people choose to say one thing they're thankful for each day. I enjoy reading what people are grateful, and it makes me think about those things in my life.

In October, I mentioned a panel I was on, but this time I want to mention a different panel. Chris Evans is everyone's favorite Captain America. He was the big guest slated for Comic Con and while I was ecstatic for my daughter to finally meet him (She's loved him since she was two), I hoped he would be nice instead of a jerk.

I had no need to worry. And, yes, I promise this is going somewhere.

Anyway, my husband won a pass to the panel that was only by lottery and I couldn't wait to learn a little more about this mystery guy. Everyone kept talking about his anxiety and warning others not to ask for hugs or get too close because it would freak him out. 

But he was late to his own panel. And while I needed it to get going so I could go meet my son and daughter, I was willing to wait. Why? Because he was backstage meeting several kids from the Make A Wish Foundation. He'd made sure when he set up the panel that there would be a whole row just for them. 

When he finally came out, he kept stopping what he was saying and turn back to the crowd to say thank you. Over and over again. He couldn't believe that there was such a huge crowd. He couldn't believe people kept cheering. And on and on. 

To me, he was already living up to who Captain America was to me. But then he said something that made all the difference in the world to me.  Someone asked him how he gets rid of the mind noise when he's having an anxiety attack. 

His answer?

"Gratitude. If you are grateful for the things you have, you will never have to deal with that head noise. It will just go away."

So this year I decided to join the masses and talk about those things I'm thankful for. And I'm so much more thankful for November and Thanksgiving (and a trip to Ireland at the end of the month...) I've decided to look for the good.  

I'm thankful for my family. All of them. My kids, husband, brother, sisters, in-laws, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and on and on. They're the reason I am who I am. And they're the reason I can write strong families for my books. I'm so thankful for them.

I'm thankful for prayer. I've seen so many miracles over the last year and I know it's because people come together to pray for that miracle.

I'm thankful for my warm, cozy home. It may not be spotless, but it's well-loved. There's laughter, singing, and dancing.

I'm thankful I get to live my dream.

I'm thankful for Delta and their choice to have a sale on international flights so we could use our miles to go on the trip of a lifetime. Along with that is Marriott and Hertz because, wow. Lots of awesome. If not for those points, it would be decades before we can go.

I'm thankful for the area I live in where there are so many opportunities for my family.

Speaking of which, it's time to go pick up one of my little blessings from a school activity. 

So what are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. Dido on all the above... Gospel, Family, Friends, plus- the place where I live, the cars I drive, AC in my house and car, Food we eat... the area where I live..the opportunity to write, publishing 6 books..... All of it.. I am thankful for all of it.

    ReplyDelete