Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Incredible Book Eating Boy!

 

   Don't you just love a title that makes you want to "dig" right into the book?
   I have a slight confession.  
   More like a slight obsession.  
   I am addicted to children's books. They overflow from bookshelves in my house, and I simply can't stop.  My husband and I both love to travel, and I can't travel without stopping in a local bookstore.  And I can't stop in a local bookstore without buying a *few* books.
   "The Incredible Book Eating Boy" by Oliver Jeffers, remains one of my most favorite children's book finds from when my husband and I were motoring about Ireland.  The first copy was literally chewed to pieces, because my daughters simply couldn't help themselves. Henry, the main character, finds he has a talent for eating books.  And the more books he eats, the smarter he gets.  It's funny, and brilliant, and magical in a reminiscent of Roald Dahl sort of way.  Don't let the eating of books dissuade you from picking this one up though, your children are I'm sure, much smarter than mine. We are on copy two, which makes frequent trips to school to be read to giggly kindergarten students who can't get enough of Oliver Jeffers. The last page alone has them all squealing with delight. 
  Another perk to buying books from other countries?  Explaining the different phrases to your children.  Biscuits as cookies, and petrol as gasoline.  You might even find yourself inserting a little Irish lilt into your speech. There is an accompanying read aloud cd, which has sound effects (!) and is sometimes (almost always) preferred to Mom's "embarrassing" recitations(see "Irish lilt" above).  
  
  I highly recommend this one, and after Jeffers has charmed the socks off you- pick up any one of his numerous books.  They're all quirky, sweet, and irresistible.

-Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment