Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Mommy Overwhelm

There are times when it feels like being a mother is far too hard. We're supposed to feed them (all organic, no sugar), clothe them (in things we sewed ourselves using all manmade materials - recycled, no less), take them to the park, teach them their ABCs before they're born, have them reciting the Declaration of Independence before they're two, and always, always keep the house spotless in the meantime.

Of course, that's an exaggeration, but it's sure how it feels sometime.

And yet, you know what? That's not our greatest, most important task . Our most important task is to teach our children the gospel. The Lord doesn't care if we have eight dishes in the sink or if our children ate peanut butter and jelly for lunch instead of a tuna salad made from tuna we caught ourselves in the river flowing by our house. He cares that we love them, and that we are teaching them the most important things they can ever know - how to return to Him someday.

I find that when I keep my focus on the eternities, it becomes so much easier to keep the little tasks of today in perspective. And if someone comes by my house and sees a messy living room, I'm relatively certain it won't be the end of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this post every day to keep my perspective... Thanks for writing it, Tristi... I don't always read everything on this blog--shame on me...( I will try harder to do so) but just to keep it all in perspective is step one to sanity...

    ReplyDelete