Thursday, February 18, 2016

Adversity

A year ago I broke my foot. It was a learning experience to say the least, not having broken anything before.

I learned I tolerate pain pretty well. We'd thought this was a fluke that only applied to me during childbirth.

I learned to accept help. There were many willing to serve. 

I learned gratitude for the things that work. 

I learned patience. Given enough time and rest my body would heal. 

I learned perseverance. Physical therapy is all about going the distance and enduring to the end. 

I learned that trials are also opportunities to work on other areas and grow in different directions.

I learned empathy for those whose bodies work differently than mine. 

I learned to be positive. You can't always change reality, but you always have control over your attitude. 

I learned that sometimes the end isn't the end, just more time to progress. Though I do hope to remain unbroken this year. 

Adversity can be painful, but it helps us grow. 

To that end, here is a video a friend shared with me this morning. I hope you find it helpful in surviving with grace and alacrity your own adversity. 


What have you learned from adversity?



 




No comments:

Post a Comment