Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Little Rambling Gratitude

I love the month of November.  Two of my children have birthdays this month. It is the end of the birthday season at my house and that is something to be grateful for. (We celebrate from July to November two birthdays a month most months- it is great but exhausting!)  

My favorite meal to cook and eat is this month.  I love Thanksgiving.  I love pumpkin- seeds, soup, pie, cookies, smoothies, cake.  Yeah, I think I would eat it cooked with butter like squash but I haven't tried that yet.  I love sweet potatoes unless someone breaks tradition and puts salt and pepper on them, then I am polite and eat them, but it is just wrong. MMMM, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, home-made rolls, cranberry sauce- the jelly kind with no lumps and all those pies-YES- I love Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to it.

 I think what  love best is the cliche- probably not a good writerly thing, but I do love the focus on gratitude.  I am grateful all year.  I have so many things to be grateful for one day would not be enough time to consider them all, but I love this time when it seems like everyone is counting their blessings.  Gratitude.  What a great concept.  

HMMMMM

For little hands that smudge my windows
and grip my fingers tight

For windows to smudge and fingers to grip
and gooey kisses good night

For little hands now grown large that can wash
my window smudges

For the faithful hearts that guide those hands
to wash them without grudges

For bigger hands and hearts made
to share smudges and dreams

For struggles managed together
no matter how hard it seems

For dreams just for dreaming sake
maybe they will come true

For reality that grounds the dreams
and keeps them pure and new

For sunshine, roses and puppy dogs
grass and worms and frogs

For rainy days and nights
with or without lights

For hugs and shoulder punches
giggles, hiccups and tickles

For sad times that hurt
but show what happiness is

I am so glad for all these things
even when my heart weeps, my spirit sings

Yes

Gratitude can make such a difference in how we see our lives, our struggles, our families.  Being grateful takes us out of ourselves, giving us perspective in our relationships and other areas of life.  Just think of the difference it would make in our world if everyone could have that perspective. 

Thanksgiving may be and American holiday but gratitude is a world wide possibility.  I hope my corny, cliche ramblings will give you a smile.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment