Thursday, July 3, 2014

Unexpected Surprises

I recently moved to a new area, and my neighbors have been such an amazing support.

My husband was talking to one man about my books and he was excited to tell his daughters about them. They were ecstatic that there was a real live author in their ward and couldn't wait to meet me.

Two weeks ago, I was helping a family move into the ward and talked to Brother Casto. He told me he was excited to be taking his girls to my launch, and we talked books for a few minutes. He led me over to his daughters and the conversation went about like this:

Brother Casto: Hey, these are my girls (And introduced each one).

The girls smile and say hi.

Brother Casto: No, this is Jaclyn Weist.

By this time the girls are confused, but still smiling.

Me: I'm the writer.

It clicked—and the screams started. It. Was. Awesome. They were so excited to meet me and asked who I'd met and told me they were excited for the launch.

I had no idea how to react. I have my fans, but I've never had anyone so excited to meet me before. They hadn't read my books, so it wasn't the excitement of meeting ME, but because they love books. Still, it felt so cool to see how elated they were to know I had books published.

It didn't just end there either. They went to the launch and got books from each of the authors. From what I hear, they've devoured the books and they're begging for more (kudos to all the writers). This Sunday the girls came up to me and asked if I could help them write their books. 

I can't even begin to say how happy I am to see their excitement for writing. Too often it gets brushed away. I'm even more excited to have the chance to share what I've learned over the years with these girls so they can one day see their names in print. 

1 comment: