Monday, June 2, 2014

The Floodgate of Ideas

A couple years ago I finished my first novel about a leprechaun who stole a sixteen-year-old girl's luck. I was very proud of myself, knowing I'd finished my first book.

And then panic hit. I'd gone to a writing conference and one of the classes was about finding ideas for books. We did a few exercises where we looked at pictures or read articles and came up with what-ifs and I had nothing.

All these writers around me came up with fantastic story ideas and I couldn't think of anything and it was terrible and I just wanted to run out of the building and never ever write again.

BUT. I went home and I realized just how often I came up with a what if and run with it in my mind. So I took a daydream I'd had growing up and twisted it. I'd wonder what it would be like if I suddenly woke up to find out that I was really a princess. But I didn't know what to do with it until I went to a few classes and came up with a twist on Sleeping Beauty.

Still, I was scared. Would I have any other ideas come? What if I was a one hit wonder as a writer? 

And now I laugh. Because those what-ifs that seemed to hide from me suddenly jump out at every opportunity. Instead of having nothing to write, I have a pile of ideas that I want to get to and only so much time to actually do it.

It's gotten to the point where I'll be minding my own business at church or watching my children play sports and BAM an idea will hit me—and not a small idea. We're talking full-on outlines for books. I have to write it down right then or it will disappear.

Don't stress. Those ideas will come. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a story to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment