Monday, April 21, 2014

Kinesio Kidnapping

by H. Linn Murphy

I was all set to do my blog post this morning. I'd done the whole routine and had that tunnel vision going. Suddenly, I got kidnapped by my friend Christine and forced to go to lunch with her. She even made me shower. To say that I smelled like the Green Bay Packers' locker room is an understatement. I'd been running earlier and it's already hot enough outside to bake cookies on your car hood at seven o'clock.

So she called and totally demolished my concentration. Even if I'd had it, there was no way to get around, over, or past the friend. She's a one woman regimen wrecking ball. I'd even been planning a new foray into dieting after a horrifying glance at the scales (thus the earlier running--make that stumbling slightly faster than walking). She did away with that with one fell trip to Monkey Burger. 

We had burgers you had to unhinge your jaw like a snake to consume. And chips that make you want to kick someone. Yeah. That tempting. Then she dragged me down the block to her favorite boutique to admire the dress she already bought. Then we went back to her truck and let a couple of homeless boys wash her windows.

Next we went to her kinesio-taping appointment so that she could show me what she was going to do to me later on. While gripping to watch, it did nothing for my schedule. The little old man was fun to tease, though.

So then she came home with me and hog-tied me (okay, taped me up). I have to say it's a strange sensation. The tape gently pulls the muscles and skin so that the lymphatic juices can return to where they belong and the edema goes down. I'm thinking that maybe I'll have to get the whole body kinesio-taped so that the chronic chubbiness goes down (and I wish it worked that way).

So here I am at the end of the day and I've done next to nothing but listen to her prattle on about her new house, truck, dog, job, and boy friend. At first stare it looks like a wasted day. But the release, information, and friendship I got (not to mention the amazing tape job) were all worth it. I hope I can be half as good a friend as she is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment