Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Memories

As I look back over the years of my life, I thought I’d present a few random memories of Christmases past:
As a little girl, the extended family gathered at our house. My cousin and I slept in my twin bed, her head at the foot so we had more room. Grandma slept in the extra twin bed in my room. Some relatives slept on the couch or floor in sleeping bags. No air mattresses in those days.
Christmas Eve we gathered around our organ in our pajamas and bathrobes and Grandma Mac played Christmas carols while we sang everything from “Jingle Bells” to “Silent Night.” In the middle of singing, we heard Santa’s bells outside. All of us children pulled off our bathrobes while running down the hall or up the stairs depending on where we were sleeping. We had to get to sleep so Santa would stop. When I grew up, I learned it was usually Uncle Johnny that slipped out to ring those bells.
One Christmas morning, a squirrel came in the open door and ran across the dining room table, and all around the living room. Then he spotted something familiar—a tree, and scrambled up it, breaking decorations on the way. The adults had a hard time chasing him out.
Then there was the year Mom made me something for Christmas, and insisted I had never seen a real one. As a know-it-all teen, I thought to myself, how does she know everything I have ever seen. Ah well, she won that one. She made me a 5-foot tall mermaid for a bed decoration.
Christmas took on a whole new meaning when I had children of my own. From the first Christmas pictures of toddlers crying on Santa’s lap to the first one as empty nesters, all had a joy of their own. What I miss most about having children at home is our tradition of baking cookies and taking them around to friends and neighbors and singing Christmas carols. I could write a whole post about our experiences with that.
With all of the merriment and trappings of the season, the most important thing to me—Jesus Christ is the reason for the season. Without His eternal sacrifice to pay for our sins, the world would be for naught. Words cannot express how grateful I am for Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment